For who can eat...more than I? Ecc. 2:25

A Blog of Stained Recipes--you know, the ones that you've used so much they are crusted with bits of food.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Dinner Rolls

For Jordan. First the original recipe, which was very yummy, and then my healthier, larger adaptation...

1 c warm water
2 pkg active dry yeast (4 1/2 t)
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 t salt
5-6 c all-purpose flour


2 c warm water
4 pkg active dry yeast (8 t)
1/2 c olive oil
1/2 c melted butter
3/4 c honey
3 eggs
2 t salt
11ish c freshly ground whole wheat flour

Combine the water and yeast in a large bowl. Let the mixture stand until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes

Stir in butter(oil), sugar(honey), eggs and salt. Beat in flour, 1 cup at a time until dough is too stiff to mix (some flour may not be needed). Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 4 days [overnight did not work for me... my yeast is instant, so it rose and fermented too quickly].

[I never cook all the rolls at the same time. After I form them into rolls, I freeze 3/4 of them individually on a greased cookie sheet; when they are frozen, I pop them into a freezer bag to use when I need them]

Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan. Turn the chilled dough out onto a lightly floured board. Divide dough into 24 equal-size pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth round ball; place balls in even rows in the prepared pan. Cover and let dough balls rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

[If using frozen rolls, I take out about 12 and put them in a greased baking dish and let them rise until doubled, but it takes much longer. I can't remember how long, but maybe about 4-5 hours to thaw and double.]

Preheat oven to 375. Bake until rolls are golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Brush warm rolls with melted butter, if desired. Break rolls apart to serve.